Most of what is today a 92-acre property was going to be the site of Mississippi’s 100th birthday celebration in 1917.
However, the land was given to the federal government during WWI for military training and the centennial celebration of statehood never happened.
It later became a veterans’ hospital.
Today, we call the treasured beachfront property Centennial Plaza. The surviving historic buildings, originally built for the centennial celebration, feature Spanish architecture.